[systemd-devel] User wayland session, conceptual questions

Vladimir Kudrya vladimir-csp at yandex.ru
Fri Feb 10 10:27:14 UTC 2023

On 10/02/2023 12.51, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:

>     Also systemd.special manual recommends putting display servers
>     into session.slice. But in case of a wayland compositor it is
>     impossible to separate it from the apps, because the compositor
>     handles keyboard shortcuts (which launch apps or launchers which
>     launch apps). Is this recommendation even feasible for wayland?
>
> Yes; the compositor can use systemd D-Bus API to launch apps in their
> own .scopes underneath app.slice (or transient .services), as e.g.
> GNOME Shell already does.
>
> (For a different use of the same API, see also how GNOME Terminal – or
> libvte, I guess – launches each terminal tab in its own .scope. You
> can forkbomb a single tab without significantly affecting the rest of
> the system.)

That would put unneeded work on compositors, some of which might never
even care about systemd.

I wonder if there is a potential centralized solution on session manager
side, like configuring a unit to automatically put any forked processes
into scopes of chosen slice.

# inwayland-wm at .service:
[Service]
Slice=session.slice