[systemd-devel] Looking for guidance about starting a systemd service inside the initrd and having it persist after rootfs is mounted

Demi Marie Obenour demi at invisiblethingslab.com
Thu Jul 13 17:35:35 UTC 2023

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 12:01:45PM -0400, Brian Masney wrote:
> I am working on a project that has very strict boot time requirements
> in order to have a custom service started within a set time period.
> Waiting for the kernel to initialize the storage controller and mount
> the root filesystem takes too much of the allocated time budget.
> There's various boot speed optimizations that we are working on and
> it's going to take a combination of multiple approaches.

What kind of system is this?  What does the time-critical service depend
on?  If this is a safety requirement (such as the backup camera in a car
turning on fast enough), is Linux the correct choice for this
application, or would a safety-certified RTOS be better option?
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)