[systemd-devel] VLAN interface stuck in pending

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 07:16:43 UTC 2023

On Sun, Jun 4, 2023 at 6:34 PM Matthias Luft <systemd at c7f.de> wrote:

> Ahh, I read about this problem when e.g. renaming the VLAN interface
> which would then match the physical interface - and I just assumed this
> wouldn't be an issue as the VLAN interface would not exist yet, going by
> the ordered config files. Obviously should not have assumed... thank you
> very much!

They're not processed as a single list. All of the .link files are
completely independent from .netdev or .network files, for example, even
though they're in the same directory. (It's actually *udev* that applies
.link configuration, not networkd – whenever an interface *shows up* from
anywhere its .link configuration is applied, whether it was created
manually or otherwise.)

Similarly the .netdev files are processed independently whereas .network
files are attached to interfaces first (i.e. networkd doesn't look for
interfaces matching 10-wan.network; it looks for .network files matching
the eth0 device).

--
Mantas Mikulėnas