[systemd-devel] Immutable Images: Updating

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Fri Mar 3 09:14:36 UTC 2023

On Do, 02.03.23 16:38, Adrian Vovk (adrianvovk at gmail.com) wrote:

> > I figure this would be a 20 line patch. Would be happy to review a
> patch for that.
>
> Got it. That sounds reasonable to me. I'll get you a patch
>
> > wouldn't it make more sense, to allow declaration of a "ReleaseNotes=" link inside a sysupdate .conf file, that can optionally take an URL parameter with the old and the new version? Then, rather than actually doing much client-side with this, we'd just show the formatted URL, and allow users to click on it before they do there thing. i.e. the diffing of the changelogs would be done server-side (if desired).
>
> So the motivating factor here is integration with the GNOME Software
> app. I want to present changelogs to the user in the app, and not just
> shove the user off into the browser.

But that it something the gnome software backend could deal with,
i.e. follow the link in its own code and render it itself.

what does gnome software actually expect as delta? a frickin' text
file like 1994?

> > I don't grok this. Preqreq for what is what?
>
> Prereq for upstreaming a GNOME Software plugin is that the update
> mechanism is going to exist and be used in some reputable project.
> They don't want plugins implementing functionality that will go
> unmaintained
>
> All I was saying is that by putting the dbus service in systemd, that
> means the service is in use by a reputable project, so I could
> upstream a GNOME Software plugin for it. If the dbus service was its
> own project, I'd have a much harder time convincing the GNOME devs
> that the dbus service will continue to be maintained

So yeah, no problem, having a service for this in systemd sounds
totally OK. It's just a matter of someone implementing it ;-)

> > a "systemd-sysupdated" that provides a dbus-interface (and/or varlink) around "systemd-sysupdate" makes total sense to me
>
> This makes sense. I can work on this.

Execellent!

> > So my idea was to eventually have "systemd-sysupdate --all" which would iterate through all places we might have DDIs:
>
> Sounds reasonable. I can work on this as well.

That'd be excellent.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin