[systemd-devel] systemd-sysctl FAILs to write params to IPv6 interface @ boot; attempts before interface exists ?

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 12:15:24 UTC 2023

On Fri, Nov 10, 2023, 13:51 pgnd <pgnd at dev-mail.net> wrote:

> hi,
>
> after upgrading OS (Fedora 38 -> 39) on my router box, on boot
> systemd-sysctl is failing to write params to IPv6 interfaces
> it appears systemd-sysctl is attempting to write config to an interface
> before it exists

This failure should usually be okay to ignore as there already is a udev
rule which will trigger sysctl again (for net.* settings) whenever an
interface appears, at any point (not just at boot).

But networkd's AcceptRA doesn't use the kernel's RA support – it's actually
supposed to force accept_ra to zero and handle it in userspace, so if
you're using networkd then you should be configuring this via networkd as
well...