[systemd-devel] enabling cgroups v2

jai jaimin at webuzo.com
Fri Sep 8 07:27:43 UTC 2023

*ISSUE 1:*
In ubuntu20, centos8 and almalinux8:

*root at host:~# grep cgroup /proc/filesystemsnodev   cgroupnodev   cgroup2*

In centos7:

*root at centos:~# grep cgroup /proc/filesystemsnodev   cgroup*

In my centos 7, command '*grep cgroup /proc/filesystems'* does not output
"nodev cgroup2". Does this mean cgroups v2 is not supported in it and
cannot be enabled in it?

*ISSUE 2:*
In my ubuntu20, centos8 and alma8 server, I enable cgroups v2 by:
1. adding "systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in
/etc/default/grub,
2. executing the command "grub2-mkconfig" or "update-grub" as root and then
3. reboot the server.

Without reboot, cgroups v2 does not come into effect when i check using the
below command:

*root at host:~# stat -fc %T /sys/fs/cgroup/tmpfs*

Is there a way this can be done without a reboot? I am looking for a way to
enable cgroups v2 which should n't need a reboot.