[systemd-devel] Please clarify osVersion in ELF package metadata

Adrian Vovk adrianvovk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 12:55:20 UTC 2024

I think it makes most sense for a distro to pick one thing and stick to it.
Otherwise there's no good way to compare packages (i.e. imagine a custom
build of libfoo relying on osVersion but the distro build relying on
osVersionCodename - you can't programmatically tell if both packages are
compatible with the same OS version).

The "typically" seems to imply that distros ultimately have flexibility
here. If it makes most sense for Ubuntu to use codenames, you should use
codenames there IMO.

Best,
Adrian