[systemd-devel] Questions about initrd environment services and IgnoreOnIsolate

Carolina Jubran cjubran at nvidia.com
Sun May 12 15:19:22 UTC 2024

Hello!

I need help with a systemd service that loads RDMA and InfiniBand drivers. The service unit specifies DefaultDependencies=no. However, when the service starts in initrd, it gets terminated when initrd-cleanup.service isolates for initrd-switch-root.target in the middle of the initialization.

My first question is, what are the correct dependencies required to run this service in the initrd environment? I tried adding IgnoreOnIsolate=true under the Unit section, and it helped, but I'm unsure if that is the correct solution.

My second question is, how does IgnoreOnIsolate=true affect the system in initrd? Will this solve the problem, or could it potentially introduce unforeseen issues?

Thank you,
Carolina Jubran