[systemd-devel] keeping a backup ESP partition in sync

Alexander Gordeev alex at gordius.net
Fri May 17 09:03:08 UTC 2024

Hi,

I've tried systemd-boot recently, I like it a lot. Thanks!
There is still one concern. I'd like to have a backup EFI partition
because you know things can happen and my rootfs is on a mirror
anyway. There is a popular approach with setting up a mdraid version
1.0 to sync the ESPs. I don't like it because (1) FAT32 is not super
reliable and (2) if there is a power outage when a partial state is
written, then issues can happen, I think.

I think it is better to have them mounted as e.g. /boot/efi and
/boot/eficopy and make changes like this:
1. update /boot/efi
2. make sure the update is actually written to the device
3. update /boot/eficopy

Right now I do this manually with rsync. I'm thinking about adding
kernel/initramfs/dpkg hooks. Maybe there are easier ways to do it?
Otherwise maybe this feature is desirable in systemd-boot?

Kind regards,
Alexander