[systemd-devel] Is a socket with Accept=yes and ListenFIFO impossible?

Steve Traylen steve.traylen at cern.ch
Fri Sep 6 12:18:16 UTC 2024

On 05/09/2024 15:52, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:

> FIFOs aren't sockets – they do not have an equivalent to accept() and
> there is no multiplexing of inputs; all writes to the FIFO immediately
> go to the "listening" file descriptor. So it's almost more like a
> datagram socket than a stream one, in a sense.
>
> If you want a true socket that's filesystem-based, create a Unix
> socket by specifying the path via ListenStream, then connect to it
> using nc -U.

Yes writing the socket at:

# emailoutput.socket
[Unit]
Description=Send email

[Socket]
ListenStream=%t/emailoutput.socket
Accept=yes

Then things like

echo "Hi There"  | nc -U /run/emailout.socket

work great and an instance of emailoutput at .service is created.

Then the final thing I was trying to do was use that created
ListenStream that from another unit. e.g.

[Unit]
Description=Simple command

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/ls /etc/passwd /etc/notexisting
StandardOutput=file:/run/emailoutput.socket
StandardError=file:/run/emailoutput.socket

A single email of Output and Error is generated - that's great - thanks.

No more questions.

Steve.