[systemd-devel] Networkd: How to diagnose interface set to "unmanaged"?

Ben Little ben.little at benlittle.dev
Thu Sep 12 17:09:04 UTC 2024

Hello this is related to an issue I am experiencing on Manjaro. I have
raised the issue here:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/systemd-networkd-reports-device-as-unmanaged/167912

To restate the content of that post:

My networking configuration file:

# /etc/systemd/network/wired.network[Match]Name=en*
[Network]DHCP=yes

After system boot, I run networkctl and get

IDX LINK   TYPE    OPERATIONAL SETUP
  1 lo     looback carrier     unmanaged
  2 enp2s0 ether   off         unmanaged

I increased log verbosity to debug and see

enp2s0: Saved new link: ifindex=2, iftype=ETHER(1), kind=n/a
enp2s0: Saved original MTU 1500 (min: 68, max:9194)
enp2s0: Saved permanent hardware address: 00:00:de:ad:be:ef
enp2s0: Saved IPv6 link-local address generation mode: eui64
enp2s0: Flags change: +MULTICAST +BROADCAST
enp2s0: udev initialized link
enp2s0: Found driver: r8169
enp2s0: Link state is up-to-date
enp2s0: State changed: pending -> initialized
enp2s0: Unmanaging interface
enp2s0: State changed: initialized -> unmanaged

Those last two lines are the concerning ones. I don't know why the
interface is set to unmanaged. Is there any way to get networkd to
print why it's reaching that case?

Thanks,

--
*Ben Little *(he/they)