[systemd-devel] Exploring Minimal Systemd in Initramfs for Faster Boot

Dharma.B at microchip.com Dharma.B at microchip.com
Wed Sep 25 04:37:49 UTC 2024

Hi Serenissi,

On 24/09/24 2:58 pm, serenissi wrote:
> du -sh /usr/lib/systemd/
> 13M     /usr/lib/systemd/
>
> du -sh /usr/lib64/systemd
> 6.4M    /usr/lib64/systemd
>
> i.e. about 20M with most stuffs of systemd package installed. Is it too
> large for initrd? Idk about your setup, might be embedded flash..

The objective is to accelerate the launch of the egt-launcher by
incorporating a minimal version of systemd within the initramfs. The
idea is to have systemd initiate essential services, specifically the
egt-launcher, as early as possible. Given the size constraints of the
initramfs, only the core binaries would reside in it, while the larger
dependencies, including libraries for egt, would remain in the root
filesystem.

I’m considering whether this minimal systemd could track these services
and continue managing them seamlessly after transitioning to the main
rootfs. Is this approach feasible within the current systemd framework,
or are there alternative strategies we could pursue for this use case?

--
With Best Regards,
Dharma B.