[Tango-artists] Session icons

Pascal Klein 4pascal at tpg.com.au
Sun Dec 4 22:02:11 PST 2005

On Monday 05 December 2005 15:14, Michael Schurter wrote:
> While I'm not a designer either (just interested in using Tango for my
> web app), I *am* color vision deficient (aka partially color blind).  A
> few quick web searches reveal anywhere from 4%-10% of the world
> population is effected by some form of color vision deficiency.
>
> While I doubt the colors used for the images in question would cause
> confusion for most color vision deficient persons, I think pictorial
> representations or variations are much more meaningful and safe.
>
> For instance, what about a moon for hibernation?
>
> Like I said, I'm just a color blind web application developer, so take
> my design opinions with a grain of salt.  ;-)

Hi there Michael,

I'm not currently much involved in the Tango Project, but I stick around on
the ML and the IRC channel; generally following what's happening because it's
exciting. I really think you've got a point. I personally have a colour
problem with distinguishing certain tones of colours, namely greens and
browns. Also I get headaches within a matter of hours if I use a desktop
environment that has a very light colour scheme (think default colours for
Linspire, Suse, Mandriva (most KDE default desktops) - and so forth - which
use predominately shades such as white and light blue).

I guess what I mean to say is that your thinking definitely has merit. It
would be nice to see the Tango Project take into consideration some of these
issues. :-)

Oh, and btw, the moon idea is great.

Kind regards,
Pascal Klein