[Tango-artists] Re: Tango Project icons, license question

Jakub Steiner jimmac at novell.com
Mon Dec 12 09:28:04 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 12:16 -0400, Steven Garrity wrote:
> Anders,
> I've forwarded your email on to the tango-artists list.
>
> Steven Garrity
>

> Anders Lejczak (Stickybit) wrote:
> > Hi Steve,
> > I'm mailing you regarding the tango project icons (you seem to be the
> > only one with contact info on your blog and there's no contact info at
> > all at the tango projects site).
> >
> > I'm thinking of using the tango icons in a development project we're
> > running (a product development). I'm not sure about the CC-license you
> > are refering to:
> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/
> >
> > If we use your icons does this mean that we have to share the _whole_
> > product or just the icons (original and derivated)?
> >
> > BR,
> > Anders

Hi Anders,
while no lawyer I believe the share-alike statement only applies on
derived artwork. You are free to use the icons in a proprietary project
as long as you make the artwork available for anyone to use and
contribute to in the same manner as you were allowed to.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac at novell.com>
Novell, Inc.