[Tango-artists] PATCH: xchat & firefox mapping

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Sun Dec 18 09:26:50 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 16:55 +0100, Jeroen Zwartepoorte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The attached patch makes xchat use the internet-group-chat icon. It
> also makes firefox use the internet-web-browser icon. If the patch is
> ok, can somebody commit it? (don't have commit privileges on fdo).

Tango is meant to be a generic theme, and not interfere with application
branding. If we make every web browser that a user might have installed,
use the Tango globe icon, it could be confusing to figure out which one
is actually which, from the icon. Also, since firefox uses an internal
image for the window icon, it won't work once firefox is actually
running anyway. We want to leave branding application icons up to the
applications themselves. It would of course be nice to improve some of
those icons, but we shouldn't make every possible application of the
same type, use the same icon. Applications should be branded, and should
provide their branded icons in appropriate sizes, and install them to
$(datadir)/icons/hicolor/$(size)/apps as appropriate. I think what we
really want to do here, is to influence naming of icons, rather than
replacing the icons with generic ones, so that applications can retain
their branding, but also comply with the Icon Theme Specification, and
avoid potential conflicts.

I have some updates to do to the Icon Naming Specification soon, so I
think I will add a little note about specific application icons then
as well. This should help clear things up a bit.

On those grounds, I must reject the patch. But thanks for the patch,
and if you see issues in the future (such as the one you mention below),
for icons that really should be generic, please file bugs and/or send
patches for those. Or if you have any more questions about what should
and should not be a generic icon, please feel free to ask, and we can
figure out how to clarify it in the spec, or on the site, for others as
well.

> One thing i've noticed is that mounted servers (smb:, sftp: etc) don't
> use the folder-remote icon. My guess is that it's related to those
> Uris having a different mimetype: x-directory/smb-share. Can that
> mimetype be mapped or is this a gnome-vfs/something different bug?

Hrmm. I don't know. What icon is it using? I don't use the virtual mount
stuff. I just make .desktop files that point to URIs, and set the icon,
instead. If you have a screenshot, that would be very helpful though.

-- dobey