[Tango-artists] whither addressbook?

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Fri Apr 14 18:18:03 PDT 2006

Nathan Willis wrote:
> Hello all.  For reasons of curiosity, I've started working on a
> Symbian series60 theme using the Tango icon library, and I'm running
> into some difficulty.
>
> Why is there an "action" icon for "create a new address book" -- but
> there is no app icon for "address book" ?  That doesn't make any sense
> at all.
>
> How many times is a user going to (as the Gallery page puts it) "use
> the action to create a new address book" anyway?  And how many times
> are they going to it as compared to opening an existing addressbook?
>
> I know, I know, I can personally take the SVG file and remove the
> glowy yellow blob from the "create new" icon, but there clearly needs
> to be one in the main library; it's an everyday application.
Removing the little flare was exactly what we did in the tangofied
thunderbird theme [1] for the icon opening the address book. As others
have mentioned, apps should ship their own icons and most of the
Standard Applications Icons that are left over (a bunch of them has been
cleaned out already) should perhaps be removed from the naming-spec. If
you are worried about theming (high-contrast-themes for example), it
seems that if you put your application icon in the hicolor-directory you
can then override the app icons by putting them in the
/size/apps/-directories in your theme.
How is the address-book icon used in the Symbian interface? Would be
great to see some screenshots of this, sounds really exiting!

BTW, if you are interested, I created a address book application icon
[2] for another project that I decided should use another metaphor in
the end, so this was left over. If you want it you are free to use it, I
can remove the (k) in it and fix it in the small sizes if you are
interested.

1. https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2258/
2. http://ramnet.se/~nisse/diverse/temp/tango/kontakt2.svg

- Andreas