[Tango-artists] Search/Find and Zoom Metaphors

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Tue Jan 3 09:03:29 PST 2006

There was some discussion in #tango today about icon metaphors for
Search (or "find", but I'll just say "search" for now) and Zoom.

So far, we've been using a magnifying glass as the general "search"
visual metaphor. We have not had a good "zoom" metaphor yet.

I would like to suggest that the magnifying glass is a better metaphor
for zooming, than it is for search.

For search, we could us binoculars.

A magnifying glass does zoom - you use it to make something bigger, more
detailed. Binoculars are used to scan a scene for something - more like
search.

Make any sense, or am I stretching these metaphors too far?

On downside is that the magnifying glass is often associated with search
(Mac OS X) and some people might have that association already.

Cheers,
Steven Garrity