[Tango-artists] Tango icons licensing

Morten Omholt Alver mortenalver at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 09:49:04 PDT 2006

Hi,

I have a question about licensing of the Tango icon set. As stated on
the web page, the icons are licensed under the terms of the Creative
Commons Attribution Share-Alike license.

According to the Free Software Foundation, this license is not
compatible with the GPL, but it is not clear to me whether this
incompatibility causes problems when the CC license is applied to
artwork only.

I am interested in using the Tango icons for an application which is
GPL licensed. Is is possible to distribute and use the icons with this
application, even though the GPL cannot be applied to the icons? If
not, I would be puzzled by the choice of the CC license for Tango,
since the web page specifically mentions the creation of themes for
GPL environments like KDE and Gnome.

I have found it difficult to track down an answer to this question, so
I'm asking this mailing list in the hope that someone here has
considered this issue.

Regards,
Morten O. Alver