[Tango-artists] Re: Looking for new icon for FileRoller

Mike Stern Mike.Stern at Sun.COM
Mon Jun 5 13:05:17 PDT 2006

Hi all, I just joined the list a little while back and have just
started to track the discussions here.  I'm not sure how much I'll be
participating but I want to make sure that the icon work we do at Sun
is staying aligned to Tango in some aspects.

WRT the File Roller action icons, I would suggest using the down and
up arrows in combination with the cardboard box for the actions 'add'
and 'extract' respectively.  The plus sign / box combo would seem to
suggest adding and archive, not adding something TO the archive.  The
arrows should definitely be up / down and not left / right and it's
more clear if the box is open.  New and Open should be the default
tango icons as suggested by others.  I think 'view' should be an eye
as opposed to a magnifying glass as the later also suggests the
actions 'find' and 'zoom'.  Neither of those are the same as view and
therefore to use a mag glass for all of them would dilute the
symbolism of that glyph.

Cheers, m.

Mike Stern
mike.stern at sun.com