[Tango-artists] Terms Of Use: Who is "the author"?

Jakub Steiner jimmac at novell.com
Fri Mar 3 05:21:44 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 14:04 +0100, Linimair Simon wrote:
> Dear Tango-Artists,
>
> In the first mail I sent, I forgot to specify a subject, so I decided
> to post my message again:
>
> I would like to use your wonderful icons in a commercial closed-source
> application. According to the licence-text
> (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/), I will have to
> "attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor",
> but I'm not sure who actually is the author or the licensor.
>
> In fact I'm looking for a FAQ-Entry like
> "How can I use the Tango-Icon-Set in my application?"

Hi,
I'm not a lawyer, so take my interpretation with a grain of salt.

To comply with the attribution clause of CC-BY-SA, provide a section for
artwork in the application aboutbox, stating it comes form the Tango
project, link to http://www.tango-project.org. Then you need to credit
all the artists, you can see an up to date list in the AUTHORS file in
tango-icon-theme (a recent checkout is here -
http://tango-project.org/static/cvs/tango-icon-theme/AUTHORS)

In case you create derived artwork form the tango base set, you need to
provide a complete set of such artwork under the same license as
tango-icon-theme itself (CC-BY-SA 2.5).

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac at novell.com>