[Tango-artists] dialog-question and assorted other icons

Taliessin Penfound tpenfound at gmail.com
Sat May 13 01:33:23 PDT 2006

I've had some free time to goof around in Inkscape recently, and I've
made a few icons that seem relevant to Tango in some capacity that I'd
like to hear comments on. A few of them are things I submitted earlier,
but attached to a reply regarding the existence of a Windows port
without any actual description, and only with 48x48 visible, and were
thusly ignored. This time around, I'll save the bandwidth of the mailing
list and point at a webpage instead: http://darkt.net/tango_creations.html

Mainly, I'd like People Who Know What They're Talking About to take a
look at my dialog-question icon; I think there ought to be different
icons in Tango base to be displayed when you're asking the GUI how it
wants things done versus when the GUI is asking you how you want
something done (Gnome and WinXP make heavy use of this metaphor in
dialogs). It's somewhat inspired by the dialog-question icon from
gperfection2, the branch decision flowchart symbol used in several CS
textbooks (too arcane?), and, of course, the current help-browser icon.
Even if the symbolism is lost on a user not familiar with flowcharting,
I think it's sufficiently differentiated in color and shape to be
recognizable. A good explanation of why there isn't one will shut me up,
though :)