[Tango-artists] Why not LGPL

jEsuSdA 8) jesusda at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 07:12:38 PDT 2006

Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> jEsuSdA 8) wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> In the Debian mail list someone says that it is not possible include
>> tango icon theme by default on the Debian distro because CC is not
>> 100% compatible with FSF GPL (or LGPL).
> Where can one read more about this issue?
> All I found was this: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopArtwork
> (scroll down a bit to find the section about tango).
>
> One thing I want to point out is that the Tango project is not about
> tango-icon-theme, it's about the style guidelines. Debian could use
> some other theme compatible with the guidelines, like gnome-icon-theme
> (that is gpl) for example as a base and then make some red-colored
> folder icons and stuff (or whatever distros like to do). Icons drawn
> using the guidelines will then blend in ok with icons drawn in
> old-gnome-style and crystal-style and the icons provided by apps as
> gimp, banshee and pitivi.
> Another possibility would be to make a new base set from scratch and
> follow the style guidelines and the namin-spec and license that as lgpl.
> - Andreas

In the same page there are some lines about:

MichaelBanck: Tango is currently not considered DFSG-free (it is under a
CC license I believe). If this changes before etch, we could consider
using Tango as a unified icon theme, if all DE teams agree.

>> ¿It is true that Tango CC license is not compatible with GPL or LGPL
>> projects ?
> Yes, http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OtherLicenses
> CC and FSF is working on the issue though.

Thanks for the information, but it seems to be so difuse. ¿Someone knows
more about CC and FSF?
> - Andreas

Thanks Andreas!
jEsuSdA 8)