[Tango-artists] idea for missing mail-send icon

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Sat Jan 20 14:18:35 PST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 9:18 PM, André Rüdiger wrote:

> On 1/10/07, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 10, 2007, at 1:03 AM, André Rüdiger wrote:
>>> Today I came across the Correo mail client and thought it has a nice
>>> mail-send metaphor [1]. It's a letter sliding through the slot of a
>>> mail box. What do you think?
>> Mailboxes should be avoided in icons, because they vary greatly in
>> appearance between countries (and sometimes even within countries).
> The Correo icon is pretty abstract IMHO. Is having the mailbox
> metaphor worse then having no icon for at all?

No, but that's a false dichotomy, because there are other choices
available. :-)

> Are there other ideas for a mail-send metaphor?

Plenty. Most involve an envelope with arrows or speed lines.
<http://www.google.com/images?svnum=10&imgsz=icon&q=send+icon>
Apple Mail uses a paper dart.
<http://noc.auth.gr/manuals/mail/MacOSXmail/images/MacOSXmail_16.jpg>
Eudora uses an envelope sliding into a generic-looking box.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/