[Tango-artists] Gnome Sudoku

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Fri Jan 26 07:24:58 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 13:15 +0100, Stephen Brandt wrote:
> Why GPL only, you already have that choice? And why the heck are all
> Tango icons CC-BY-SA then, if it's no use? If i did GPL only the icon
> wouldn't be compatible with an (CC-BY-SA) Tango icon set.

All Tango-style icons are not CC-by-SA. Only the ones in
tango-icon-theme, and those derived from them, are. Or potentially
others that people have independently drawn and released under that
license. All of the icons in gnome-icon-theme are GPL. The ones in
GIMP are GPL. Most all of the app icons from Tango Fridays, are GPL.

> I thought by dual licensing I'd stratify both developers and artists...
> with that in mind your reaction doesn't make any sense to me...

Dual-licensing doesn't actually solve anything. The artist is you. If
you want to make your icon be dual-licensed, that's fine. But from a
legal standpoint, I believe it would create more problems than it
actually feigns to solve. I'm not a lawyer, of course, so anything I
say cannot be construed as legal advice. But I wouldn't dual-license
anything, even if it were to save a dying Panda.

-- dobey