[Tango-artists] Programming metaphors [Was: Icons for inclusion]

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Tue Mar 13 13:20:56 PDT 2007

Right.  Well, I'd be happy to do a claw hammer if desired, but I really
think that time is better spent brainstorming on metaphors for "programming"
itself.

To be certain, all category icons are metaphorical: witness the
graphics:paintbrush example.  But in this case the visual metaphor used
suggests something that itself a conceptual metaphor for the task.  In other
words, graphics:paintbrush :: audio:musical note, but !:
programming:construction hardware.  Namely, the tool/hardware is a metaphor
for construction work, and then construction work is a metaphor for computer
programming.  I don't think newcomers get that two-leap metaphor inherently,
it's certainly not the only two-step metaphor that would work, but a
single-step metaphor would be easier to understand.

For example, a hastily brainstormed list of visual metaphors that come
directly from programming itself or the task of working at programming:
flowchart
ones and zeroes
building blocks
computer itself
punchcards
keyboards
blinking LEDs
state diagrams
turing machines
bugs

Sure, punchcards are ancient history; I only know of them from stories told
by my professors in college.  But they aren't used for anything else; if you
recognize one there's no chance you will misunderstand what it represents.
Bugs, the opposite problem.  I'm not aware of any entomology apps
whatsoever, but there's potential confusion.  But construction tools are
also used in the "settings" and "accessories" metaphors, not to mention the
more direct association with CAD/CAM/CNC -type apps.

I did a cursory image search on Google just now on "programming", "debug",
"compile", and "computer science" (an arbitrary list).  And among those
terms, state diagrams/flowcharts are far and away the most common result
(well, aside from faculty mugshots....).  Anybody else care to see what that
stirs up, metaphor-wise?

Nate

--
nathan.p.willis