[Tango-artists] Application Background color

Michael Heuer heuermh at acm.org
Thu May 10 22:02:05 PDT 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Simon Pascal Klein wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 15:29 -0400, Al Hanley wrote:
> > Hi Everyone:
> >
> > I'm building a Java application, and I was wondering what the background
> > color, font type and size, etc. I should use?
>
> The Tango Desktop Project has thus far only defined a style guideline in
> terms of colour and in design styles for icon design. These can be found
> at http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines
>
> Depending on the Java application you're writing and for what employment
> (ie. the GNOME desktop) I'd let users define what fonts they wish to use
> through the DE's font settings and the like.
>
> As for icons, try to use the spec rather than ship icons with the
> program source itself. :)

Agreed, but if you do want to ship icons, there already exists a jar
artifact of the Tango Project stock icons.  See

> http://tango.freedesktop.org/User:Heuermh

for more details.  That link is a bit short on documentation though, I
hope to add to it and create a .jnlp of the example in the near future.

I also plan to add an adaptor for my icon bundle library that uses the
icon theme specification to load the icons from the file system instead
of from that jar artifact, but I haven't had much free time lately.

> http://dishevelled.org/iconbundle
> http://dishevelled.org/iconbundle-tango

   michael