[Tango-artists] Entrance and Dual Licensing

Tod Landis tl at todlandis.com
Sat May 5 14:07:21 PDT 2007

Hello all,
I'm working on a GPLed desktop application called Entrance.
Entrance is a MySQL browser with charts.  More about it at
http://todlandis.com/

Entrance uses Tango desktop icons on its toolbar ( and it could
use a Tango "entrance" application icon, if there is one).

In a little while we would like to offer Entrance under a dual
licensing scheme, possibly to sell it in a bundle with an editor.
My understanding is that we can't do that and use the
Tango icons.  Can we continue to use the Tango icons in
the GPLed version after the dual licensing?  And does anyone
have a suggestion for what to use as replacements for the
Tango icons?

Thank you for the beautiful work...

Tod Landis

PS.  Entrance also supports the Tango palette, eg. it can draw
"dark chocolate bars".  More at http://todlandis.com/Colors.html

Here is the java code we use for the Tango palette:

  /**
      *  Parse Tango colors from string 's'.
      *  See:     http://tango.freedesktop.org/
Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines
      *
      *  isLight and isDark make the color lighter or darker.
      *  Released to the public domain by Tod Landis, http://
todlandis.com/
      */
     public static Color parseTangoColorString(String s, boolean
isLight, boolean isDark) {
         Color normal=null, dark=null, light=null;

         if(s.equalsIgnoreCase("butter")) {
             light= new Color(0xfce94f);
             normal= new Color(0xedd400);
             dark= new Color(0xc4a000);
         } else if(s.equalsIgnoreCase("tangoorange")) {
             light= new Color(0xfcaf3e);
             normal= new Color(0xf57900);
             dark= new Color(0xce5c00);
         } else if(s.equalsIgnoreCase("chocolate")) {
             light = new Color(0xe9b96e);
             normal= new Color(0xc17d11);
             dark= new Color(0x815902);
         } else if(s.equalsIgnoreCase("chameleon")) {
             light= new Color(0x8ae234);
             normal= new Color(0x73d216);
             dark= new Color(0x4e9a06);
         } else if(s.equalsIgnoreCase("skyblue")) {
             light= new Color(0x729fcf);
             normal= new Color(0x3465a4);
             dark= new Color(0x204a87);
         } else if(s.equalsIgnoreCase("plum")) {
             light= new Color(0xad7fa8);
             normal= new Color(0x75507b);
             dark= new Color(0x5c3566);
         } else if(s.equalsIgnoreCase("scarletred")) {
             light= new Color(0xef2929);
             normal= new Color(0xcc0000);
             dark= new Color(0xa40000);
         } else if(s.equalsIgnoreCase("aluminum")) {
             light= new Color(0xeeeeec);
             normal= new Color(0xd3d7cf);
             dark= new Color(0xbabdb6);
         } else if(s.equalsIgnoreCase("charcoal")) {          // the
tango web page didn't have a name for this one, so this is a guess
             light= new Color(0x888a85);
             normal= new Color(0x555753);
             dark= new Color(0x2e3436);
         } else