[Tango-artists] Use of Address Book SVG for MediaWiki Publisher

Bryan Petty etierra at gmail.com
Tue May 15 11:04:21 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm new to this list, but have been a fan of the work done on the
Tango Project for a long time now.

While I realize this isn't quite the intended use of the Tango Icons,
I've recently put a logo together for the MediaWiki Publisher [1]
project (an open source project) making use of some of the work done
with the address book icon. I've attached the logo in question.

[1] http://mwpublisher.org/Main_Page

I just wanted to check with this list in regards to the legality of
using this logo with the MediaWiki Tournesol logo [2] (which is
released under the GNU FDL). Both the FDL and Creative Commons
licenses require releasing derivatives under the same license, and
they both don't really mix, so this may require that I have explicit
permission from the copyright owner to use this, and release the
derived logo under the FDL with the rest of the MWP project
documentation and in accordance with the MediaWiki logo. It would also
be easiest since the MWP project documentation is already under the
FDL, and the license is already included.

[2] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Image:Tournesol.png

I also wanted to see what level of attribution (to the Tango Project)
would be required to use this logo with the MWP project. I understand
the Tango icons are released under an Attribution, Share-Alike CC
license, and there is a requirement for attribution, but aside from
the obvious attribution to be made in project documentation, there
would be numerous places this logo would be used, and providing this
attribution in each location would become cumbersome.

On one last note, I'm open to comments about the logo itself. :)

Regards,
Bryan Petty