[Tango-artists] Holux GPSlim236

Josef 'cornelius' Vybíral newsgroups at vybiral.info
Tue May 22 21:51:36 PDT 2007

Hi again Rick :)

Rick píše v St 23. 05. 2007 v 01:20 +0200:

> Hi again!
>
> I created another icon in tango style for the Holux GPSlim236.
> Like the previuos, it's very simple.
>
> The sources are here: http://rick.jinlabs.com/stuff/tango/holux-gpslim-236/
>
> Suggestions? Improvements? I want to create this onewith prespective,
> but I'm still too noob...

The basics for the icon are fine, but there are a few things that are in
the icon style guidelines[1] and this icon lacks them. First, the main
shape should have a light inner stroke ("2" item on the image at [2]).

Second thing, like in the transcend icon, lines do not snap to the grid.
For example the Bluetooth and other logos are misaligned and lines are
not exactly one pixel wide (tho in this case of icons on the device it
shouldn't be such a big problem).

LED lights should have strokes of the colour they are (yellow with
yellow stroke, blue with blue...). The colours you used are too dark and
also a gradient can help making it look better. Gradients generally are
of great help when it comes to improving the look of an icon.

The another thing I would do to the icon is that I would try to follow
shades of colours defined by the original device. I am attaching a quick
mockup of all changes I was able to make according to the image I've
found[3]. It has not yet so many of details as it could have but it may
serve you as an inspiration maybe ;-)

Btw, the perspective you chose looks fine with proper colours :-)

Oh, and I forgot to mention in the previous mail that you should move
the shadow of the transcend usb drive to the background :-)

 cheers
   cornelius

[1] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines
[2] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Image:Unify-icon-elements.png