[Tango-artists] sync icon

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Fri Sep 7 08:45:21 PDT 2007

On 9/1/07, David Jordan <david_jordan at unc.edu> wrote:

> I am no artist, just a software developer. Though I did work on file
> synchronization at one time...
>
> Synchronization involves getting two (or more) things in sync, i.e.
> equal in value. So here's an idea.

The center of the icon will be an equals sign, implying left and right

"operands" are equal.

If you are pursuing that metaphor, you could alternately work with the
mathematical congruence symbol instead of the equal sign.  It is less
common, so it would spark fewer immediate associations to erroneous apps
like calculators and spreadsheets (since the equal sign is commonly used in
those apps as the 'calculate the results' button, which is not the meaning
you want to convey), but it still looks enough like the equal sign that it
clearly relates to equivalence/equality.

And, technically, congruence means two items are identical, while equality
only means that they have the same measured value.

Nate
--
nathan.p.willis
nwillis at glyphography.com