[Tango-artists] License question

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat Sep 8 09:20:01 PDT 2007

Hi,

I am currently working on making a Debian package of some code released
by a company. The code is under a BSD-like license. The company was using
proprietary icons, a lot of them. I have to change them to a
OSI-compatible-licensed icons. I'd love to use some of project Tango's
icons, but, first of all we really want the code to remain BSD-licensed,
and the company wants to keep using the code as a library for their
proprietary applications.

For what I understood Tango is under CC-BY-SA. Does somebody know what is
understood as "share alike". Is the code part of the "share-alike"
clause, or only the modified icons, if any ? If the code is not part of
the "share-alike" clause, am I right thinking that it can still be both
BSD, and used in commercial applications ?

By the way, as there must be some icons experts on this list, does
someone know the license of the Gnome icons (if you can eply I don't have
to subscribe to yet another mailing list) ? I tend to think it is LGPL.
If so can I use them in the library I am packaging ? The same questions as
for the Tango icons apply: what is considered as derived work ? Can code
using LGPL icons still be BSD ? And proprietary ?

Sorry for asking these stupid questions, I don't know much about
licensing.

Thanks,

Gaël