[Tango-artists] Why cant Tango Icons be GPL ?

UlisesVitulli uvitulli at fi.uba.ar
Tue Apr 1 08:53:10 PDT 2008

Hi again Rodney!

Rodney Dawes escribió:
> The icons in gnome-icon-theme are currently GPL, though, during
> the next development cycle of GNOME (for the 2.24 release), I am
> hoping that we will be able to fully relicense the package under
> LGPLv2+, which would allow pretty much any LGPL or GPL library
> or application to ship them internally if need be. It would also
> make it easier for applications under different licenses to make
> use of them as well.

I see that when you refer to relicensing, you are just referring to
gnome icons pkg.
As much as I can see, I think it's small compared with the artwork
offered by tango-icon-theme.

I understand from what I see here, by your post and Andreas', that
designers aren't against relicensing, but Novell is in some way.

Just to clarify the whole situation, I'm forced to ask which is the
current relationship between Novell and Tango? (looked at website but
couldn't find anything)
Is it possible for us to establish a communication channel with Novell
lawyers?
Can we negotiate? :-)

I know gnome-relicense means a huge milestone; but I consider it would
be _awesome_ to have this benefits in the rest parts, don't you think?

As I mentioned in my last mail, please, consider this as an opportunity
for your art to be even widely adopted by developers and recognized by
everyone.

Thanks again and have a nice day,

UlisesVitulli.
Debian GNU User/Admin/(pkg)Maintainer