[Tango-artists] Fwd: [Inkscape-devel] Icon loading now fixed

Andy Fitzsimon andyfitz at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 13:12:50 PDT 2008

its time

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jon A. Cruz <jon at joncruz.org>
Date: Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 7:25 PM
Subject: [Inkscape-devel] Icon loading now fixed
To: inkscape Devel List <inkscape-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>

I've finished up the second round if icon loading cleanup. First was
to get things going with stock images
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/gtk-Themeable-Stock-
Images.html

This second pass was to get the newer icon theme (added with GTK 2.6)
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/GtkIconTheme.html

That second part allows for the newer theme sets of icons to be
loaded. These include the Tango icons. Probably the most important
part is this now allows Inkscape to follow a standard look with other
apps by using shared icons. In order to do this well we need to use
standard names and standard concepts as much as possible. With my
recent checkin I switched three icons over to standard, but there are
still two main things to do

First is to see if we can use any existing standard icons. The base
spec with proposed standard icon names is at
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-
latest.html
The standard icons out in existing themes, though, don't use all of
those. Such themes are usually under /usr/share/icons/* or the
equivalent. A few I have here are "highcolor" (the fallback default),
"Human" and "Tangerine".

The main second thing is to get graphic-app specific icons that are
not listed in the default set figured out and assigned names. The
Tango project had started this under their Art Libre set.
http://tango.freedesktop.org/ArtLibreSet
If anyone can take a look through there, that would be a great help.
And more importantly if anyone who uses other apps such as GIMP,
Krita, Blender, etc. could take a peek at what could be unified that
would be a huge help.