[Tango-artists] relicensing tango-icon-theme

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Thu Jul 17 08:10:23 PDT 2008

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> And now on to my proposal. I think the best way to go about this is not
> to make tango-icon-theme Public Domain, but to create a new repository
> which houses the Public Domain elements which make up the icons we offer
> in tango-icon-theme. This new module could be tango-icon-assets or
> something similar, and would contain just the assets in SVG form (in the
> one-canvas workflow style), such as "paper sheet" and "error emblem".
> Everything in this module would be Public Domain, and there would be no
> need for any build system work at all, as it is purely a repository of
> building blocks for creating full icons.

This is an interesting solution. However, I'm concerned that in
practice, having two distinct 'buckets' each with different licensing
will prove to be a problematic new layer to deal with.

For example, imagine I want to create an icon that's a film-strip + a
music note. Would I create the film-strip as a public domain asset, then
create a music note ass a public domain asset (assuming these don't
already exist), then put them together in an icon that's LGPL?

If I understand correctly, is it really worth this added layer? Why not
have everything public domain?

Please note that I'm actually not going to be contributing much (if
anything) because I suck at drawing - so my questions are really out of
curiosity and to make sure we make the right decision as a project.

Thanks,
Steven Garrity