[Tango-artists] Derivative or not?

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado raul at dervishd.net
Sun Sep 28 11:02:18 PDT 2008

Hi all, again :)

Since nobody answered my licensing question, I think it's best to
"recast" the question to the real root of my licensing problem:
derivative work or collective work?

Shipping a Tango icon with an application that uses that icon in a
".desktop" file (meaning that the path to the icon is hardcoded in the
file), makes the entire bundle a "Collective work" or a "Derivative
work"? If the answer is "Collective work", I assume that the same
applies even if the icon is modified (per CC-BY-SA section 4.b).

If instead of the above the icon is not only used in a ".desktop" file,
but it's used as a window icon (meaning that the path to the icon is
hardcoded in the application source instead), is the entire bundle (icon
+ application) a "Collective work" or a "Derivative work"?

Last but not least: if nobody says nothing and I finally ship a Tango
icon with my Artistic 2.0 application, using it even as a window icon,
without relicensing my app under CC-BY-SA, will you sue me? O:) In other
words: would you consider that use "fair play" (given that Artistic 2.0
is by all means a free software license that promotes sharing) or will
you consider that a blatant violation of the Tango icons license?

Thanks a lot in advance :) and sorry for asking so many things about
licensing, but I think that this is very important given that many apps
out there may end up including Tango icons without worrying about
licensing issues (people tend to think that the fact you're using a free
software license makes it compatible with all the other free software
licenses, but that's not true and may cause you problems).

We are waiting for 13 Feb 2009 23:31:30 +0000 ...