[Tango-artists] Tango in Wine

Joel Holdsworth joel at airwebreathe.org.uk
Fri Apr 17 02:29:16 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I'm looking at Wine right now, and wondering about the icon set. As you
might be able to see from the attached image, it's a really mixed back
of styles. There's been some discussion in the Wine list lately about
transitioning the menu icons, to Tango:

http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine.svg
http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine-notepad.svg
http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine-winecfg.svg
http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine-winefile.svg
http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine-uninstaller.svg

My question is about the embedded icons - e.g. the mydocs.ico,
mycomputer.ico, desktop.ico etc. These icons appear when you go into the
file dialogs, and right now they look nasty - especially in 16x16px.

A few months back I discussed moving Wine over to icons from the
standard Tango icon set. The main sticking point seemed to be the
licensing conflict between CC and Wine's GPL. Is there are way around
this?

I'm wondering if anyone here is interested in getting involved. It would
be a job involving some fresh art, and some discussion about the
licensing issue.

Thanks
Joel Holdsworth