[Ipcf] Telepathy project status

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 15:28:01 EET 2005

For those who have signed up the list some time ago, and were wondering
what's going on, a brief summary of where we're currently at:

 * We've renamed the project to Telepathy (thanks to David Malcom for
    the suggestion at the Boston GNOME summit) so the web site is now at
    http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/ now. The Freedesktop folks have
    yet to rename our mailing list. :)

 * The wiki now has an overview of how the system is expected to fit
    together at http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/System_20Overview.
 * We've released version 0.9 of the D-Bus interface specification,
    which can be found at http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec.html.
 * I'm actively encouraging comments on the spec, particularly if you
    can see any problems or have any suggestions for addressing the
    outstanding spec TODO items at:
http://projects.collabora.co.uk/darcs/telepathy/telepathy-python/TODO-SPEC

 * I'm currently working on a Python prototype of a pyxmpp based Jabber
    connection manager, and a proof of concept pygtk client. This is in
    a darcs repository at:
     http://projects.collabora.co.uk/darcs/telepathy/telepathy-python/
 * I've patched the hell out of the D-Bus Python bindings to make the
    prototype feasible. Most of my fixes are upstream in CVS, but
    there's a snapshot tarball and .debs for Ubuntu Breezy at:
     http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/dbus/
 * The specification is generated from the base classes in the Python
    tree, so you can generate the latest spec with the command:
     ./doc-generator.py telepathy.server order

 * Rob Taylor is writing a SIP connection backend using the sofia-sip
    library (http://sofia-sip.sf.net) and the D-Bus glib bindings. This
    is in darcs at:
     http://projects.collabora.co.uk/darcs/telepathy/telepathy-sip/

 * We have an IRC channel, #telepathy on irc.freenode.net, feel free to
    drop in and chat (I'm Robot101).

Regards,
Rob