[Telepathy] streaming media ?

Rob Taylor robtaylor at floopily.org
Wed Apr 26 04:21:33 PDT 2006

Kai Teuber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after reading the Telepathy specification I ask myself how the voice over ip
> engine is involved on the whole.
>
> How will telepathy handle streaming media?
> Will streams be send through the dbus?

No, the way voip engine works is that there's a standardised signalling
interface (MediaSessionHandler and MediaStreamHandler) which basically
map to the same interface as Farsight [1]. This has been designed to be
capable of transporting the media signalling information used in ICE
with SIP and Jingle with XMPP (and as most other media transports use a
subset of this information it should work for those as well).

The actual media streaming is then done directly from the voip engine
itself, using Farsight. This scheme is optimal for most media transports
as the media is usually done out of band with respect to the signalling
transport.

For the rare cases where media is transported in the signalling
transport, I'm expecting we'd do something like have a local fifo used
to send the media info from the connection manager to the voip-engine,
but this isn't something we've come up against yet.

Thanks,
Rob Taylor

[1] http://projects.collabora.co.uk/farsight