[Telepathy] Handle Uniqueness

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jul 18 05:20:50 PDT 2006

It's intended that handles are unique only per type - you always need to
explicitly or implicitly (depending on the method/signal) include the
type. We didn't want to introduce an error case where you could provide
the wrong type of handle (trying to invite a room to a room, or other
meaningless operations). Methods which can act on different handle types
have got a type parameter, and those where there is no type ambiguity
(mostly contact-based stuff) don't.

Obviously everything works fine if you do decide to implement handles as
globally unique inside your connection manager, which Gabble does
currently (although we'd like to change it to a more efficient
implementation), but having uniqueness per type means people can choose
different implementations for different handle types (eg list handles
could just be constants). A patch for the spec to clarify this would be
cool.

Regards,
Rob