[Telepathy] Mission Control Spec - File formats

Raphaël Slinckx raphael at slinckx.net
Wed Nov 1 13:55:13 PST 2006

Hi !

>> Please look at this wiki page and comment:
>> http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/FileFormats
>
> We need to be clear about which fields are translatable.

Marked such fields with a prefix of "_" + explanation

> We decided that objects should be indexable by name: e.g. if you're
> looking
> for a CM called "gabble", you know to look for a file
> "gabble.manager", rather
> than looking through all the manager files you can find for the one
> which says
> it describes a connection manager called "gabble".

I changed the relevant instances of the Name appearing in the file
itself rather than being derived from filename.

> We also say that programs
> encountering an unknown field should ignore the entire file, and
> that programs
> should use the first file they find. In combination, this means
> that if you
> don't like the first file you find, you lose. But perhaps this is
> reasonable.
>
> What's the rationale for ignoring the entire file rather than just
> the fields
> you don't recognise?

I just used this behavior from the .manager files. I think it is
generally good to parse and accept only well-formed files.
What we can have as rule is to use each file they find in the defined
order. Try to read each file and if finding a malformed file ignoring
it and using the next one available until no more files are left, in
which case the file gets ignored.

Does that sound ok ? (I changed the wiki to use this definition, if
people disagree, feel free to change to anything else)

Raf