[Telepathy] more notes from Boston

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Mon Oct 9 21:07:42 PDT 2006

 - Presence
   Extending to:
    - I am using app X
      - and you can join me using this protocol
    - I am working on X
    - Here is a thumbnail of the thing I'm working on
    - I am at these GPS co-ordinates.
   Hey, I want to work on that too!
   How many protocols can we extend presence on?
    - Some of this will fall under extending the protocl rather than exposing
      the protocol over Telepathy
   Sharing activities is central to OLPC: how does Telepathy fit in?

 - Extending Jingle for arbitrary data
   In some cases, you want to use DBus
   Other times, you just want to send a blob of data
   Sending blobs of data over DBus is slow
    - whether the main session bus, or a temporary point-to-point bus
   You don't want to send large amounts of data via a server: if I'm
   establishing a VNC channel to a peer, we don't want to revert to
   server-mediated transfers.

 - Drag+drop
   Drag a bookmark onto my 770 icon, and have it open in the web browser.
   Does sending side or receiving side decide which action to perform with the
   data sent?

 - GTalk+GMail integration
   Doing this on the desktop
   Syncing aliases between IM and address book
    - Change in IM, synced to address book and vice versa

 - Where to store presence?
   Should EDS do the work of storing presence for the people in your
   addressbook?
   Provide a library that an address book can use for exporting presence
   information on D-Bus? (KDE people probably won't use it.)
   Currently, it's expensive for Galago to pull information out of EDS.

   Telepathy provides presence, EDS provides addressbook information.
   In terms of using this information, it's not so important which program you
   get it from; the key is providing a good API for apps to use.

 - No groupwise support in Telepathy

 - Orienting things into tasks
   Explicit vs. implicit: to some degree you can infer task information from
   desktop activity.
   There are good algorithms for inferring groups.
   Look at how MySpace/Facebook/etc. do groups?
   Tasks can be very short-lived.

 - People as first-level objects
   Files are currently first-place;
   Applications are seoncd-place;
   People are third-place, if that.
   With Gimmie, you can say that somebody should always be one click away.
   With documents, the action is to open; with people there are many different
   actions you might want to take.
   Associon browser, with person as the focal object.
    - Documents this person sent me.
   http://joeshaw.org/association-browser.png

 - Exposing offline messaging capabilities
   Can we discover whether a particular Jabber server supports
   store-and-forward?
   Provides an alternative to contacting via email (I can send Bob a Jabber
   message when he's offline if I have his JID but not his email address)

 - People, documents, tasks, presence, oh my!

 - Presence is short-term information
   availability ("away")
   activity ("working on project foo")
    - which app is running