[Telepathy] Telepathy Status

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Oct 9 22:33:53 PDT 2006

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 at 21:23:54 -0700, Eitan Isaacson wrote:
> * vCards: Not implemented yet in gabble, once it is it will be very easy
> to add.

vCard infrastructure is starting to arrive in gabble (I implemented some
in order to put the Telepathy user's alias in their vCard) and full
support for retrieving others' vCards, and abitrary edits to the user's
own vCard, are on my to-do list. I still need to get an API spec written
before we start implementing this.

> * Avatars: Same deal. Easy once gabble has it.

These will use the vCard infrastructure too, but can go in rather quicker
than full vCard support, since we already have a spec we're happy with.

I'm also going to write a spec for dealing with user-defined server-side
contact groups, and implement that. I understand the group support is
something either you or the Kopete guys wanted?

At the moment the plan is that I'll be designing the group API and
implementing that and avatars first, then moving on to full vCard
support later.

> * File transfer: Does this work in today's Gossip? Didn't look into this
> yet.

We have some patches from SoC student Mads Chr. Olensen (shiyee) to
implement file transfers, along with arbitrary streams for use as
application channels. We're not entirely happy with his API for this, so
merging this will take some time and design thought, but it's also on the
to-do list - people at the GNOME Summit here in Boston have been quite
enthusiastic about using Telepathy for collaborative madness :-)

Regards,
	Simon