[Telepathy] GossipProtocol problems

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 18:07:36 PDT 2006

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 at 22:20:43 +0200, Xavier Claessens wrote:
> 3) _register_[account,cancel]: doesn't have an equivalent in telepathy.
> As I understand teleapthy, accounts have a "register" parameter, is it's
> set to TRUE we connecting this account, telepathy will automatically
> register the account.

Yes. However, you can't rely on this working, even for XMPP (Google
Talk only accepts registrations over the web, I believe) and other
protocols might not be able to do in-band registrations at all.

> 4) _is_valid_username, _get_example_username, _get_default_server and
> _get_default_port: doesn't seems to have an equivalent in telepathy...
> maybe it should be added to the specification ?

The default for anything that has a sensible default can be found in
ConnectionManager.GetParameters(). Sample values are mentioned in your
previous mail to the Telepathy list and the replies to it, but I'll repeat
for the benefit of other Gossip people: we don't have that functionality,
but perhaps we should.

Validating parameters as best we can before actually attempting
registration would perhaps be a nice thing to add too. (I assume you're
looking for "live" validation as the user types in parameters?)

> 5) _is_ssl_supported: useless, just check if there is a parameter like
> "old-ssl" in the account.

Parameter naming may vary per CM, I think old-ssl is specific to Gabble.
When we eventually support TLS/SASL for XMPP, things will be somewhat different
there anyway.

> 6) _send_composing: Don't know if it's supported by telepathy ?!?

As Daf said, it's not currently, although it's been discussed.

> 7) _get_active_resource: how can it work with protocols that doesn't
> support resources ?

It can always return a null string, or something? We don't have any
support for multiple resources in the Telepathy spec at the moment, and
it will never make sense for many of the non-XMPP protocols.

	Simon