[Gossip-dev] Re: [Telepathy] GossipProtocol problems

Martyn Russell martyn at imendio.com
Tue Oct 17 01:55:33 PDT 2006

Robert McQueen wrote:
> Martyn Russell wrote:
>> I would be surprised if Gabble supports capability discovery yet.
>
> Hm... we've had code to discover server features at connect time since
> March, and besides this we also do disco queries to find the server's
> available MUC servers, validate MUC room names, list available MUC
> rooms, etc. We also reply to service discovery queries to our own JID
> and implement entity capabilities (XEP-0115) to discover which of our
> buddies we can call, and advertise our own callability.

Good to know :) I didn't mean to sound so pessimistic, I just thought it
would have been a feature later implemented.

>> We definitely need translated parameter naming so it is user friendly
>> (i.e. instead of "old-ssl").
>
> The point of the standard parameter names as defined in the spec is that
> you can ship translations for these and use them. If you don't know what
> a parameter is, it's not

I disagree here. It makes sense for the backend to state in friendly
terms what the parameter is for because the backend knows better than
the UI what it is for and for UIs implementing a generic interface it
will just work (TM).

>> We also would need default/example parameters for usernames/ports, etc.
>> I think having no value is less informative and it doesn't harm to have
>> it. We also make use of the example username in the username field
>> (where it would apply on a per protocol basis of course) and select it
>> so that users have a clue as to the format of the username.
>
> Similar to above, you should probably just recognise which format of
> account names different protocols have, and show an example if you know it.

I agree and disagree here :)

For somethings, it desn't really matter (like the port) I think. For
things like "username" I think it is important to have a default value
because otherwise it means new users to a protocol will not know the
format to use for creating a new account. This sort of thing is helpful
to the user and makes the UI much more friendly.

Martyn