[Telepathy] Gabble avatars: requirements

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Wed Oct 18 04:09:32 PDT 2006

Ar 17/10/2006 am 18:57, ysgrifennodd Simon McVittie:
> GetAvatarRequirements() -> (['image/png', 'image/jpeg', 'image/gif'],
>                             32, 96, 32, 96, 8192)
>
> although it may be better to accept non-conforming avatars even though
> our reply to GetAvatarRequirements() claims we won't.
>
> It may be worth looking at other avatar-supporting clients to
> find out what current practice is (since scaling small bitmaps leads to
> unpleasant-looking UIs).

I think it would be somewhat mad to try and make the interface express things
like "should be square, but doesn't have to be". I think having Gabble export
the requirements you suggest is fine, since it doesn't enforce them anyhow.
However, we should take care to report errors on setting the avatar back to
the client, in case the server actually decodes the image inside the vcard and
rejects it. What does the vcard manager do if the set-iq fails?

--
Dafydd