[Telepathy] Spec for file-transfer and tubes

Mads Chr. Olesen shiyee at shiyee.dk
Mon Apr 2 20:50:31 PDT 2007

Hi Robert!

I have tried to sketch up the following, following your opinion (which I
have come to agree with ;-) ):
 - Use local Unix sockets for all data transfer (bye IOStream, TCP
sockets)
 - A remote CM will be supported by some proxy
 - If we have a legacy application (vnc), the wrapper for it will have
to implement TCP <-> Unix socket proxying. On the listening side, the
wrapper will connect to both the TCP (provided by vncserver) and the
Unix socket (provided by the CM). On the connecting side, the wrapper
will listen for an incoming TCP connection (from vncviewer) and connect
to a local Unix socket (provided by the CM).

I have drawn this up for file transfers (using the same general
structure as for Tubes). Darcs branch at
http://www.cs.aau.dk/~mchro/telepathy-spec.filetranfer/

I have some remaining issues, reflected by TODOs:
 - Does a file transfer to a room make sense? I can imagine some
broadcast way of implementing it, e.g. for LANs, but is it practical?
Should it just be left out?
 - Which common bits of information do we have about a file? MD5-sum,
SHA1-hash, thumbnail?
 - Is the wording for the socket authentication correct? I borrowed it
from the D-Bus spec. How does it work on the receiving end of the NUL
byte?