[Telepathy] Proposed standard MC API

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 15:44:33 PDT 2007

Tobias Hunger wrote:
>> Nokia MC has also channel filters that can be installed as DBus
>> components; it's something badly needed especially for handling incoming
>> channels, so we should standardise that too.
>
> What do those channel filters do?

They take a channel request which has not yet been dispatched to a
handler, and make decisions about it, such as is this person blocked, do
we want to turn the screen on now, should we blink an icon or launch the
handler immediately, etc.

It's similar in principle to the boolean return value and chaining of
Decibel components, but a filter can delay the handling of a particular
channel indefinitely (until the user replies to a notification, for
example), rather than until the method invocation times out.

>> IMHO, profiles (and protocols, and managers) should be considered
>> read-only objects from a client point of view.
>
> Why do you need to expose protocols and managers?

We don't. :)

> Best Regards,
> Tobias

Regards,