[Telepathy] Proposed standard MC API

Jiri Baum jiri at baum.com.au
Mon Aug 6 09:06:44 PDT 2007

George Wright:
> >> SetGlobalPresence ( u: presence_state, s: message ) -> nothing

> >>   Set a global presence and message on all accounts, putting accounts
> >>   online if necessary.

Tobias Hunger:
> > I consider this method to be too dangerous: My phone should not
> > disconnect just because I want my IM accounts offline. This method
> > encourages applet developers, etc. to do the wrong thing.

Robert McQueen:
> Possibly yes, so maybe we need a way to effect presence which only
> affects certain groups of accounts. If we had a filtering mechanism we
> could provide a filtered version of this function, so that the applet
> could merely set all IM accounts online if it was dealing with that
> class of communication. We could introduce an account group concept, and
> then set presence on groups?

Which also supports the use case where a user separates "friends", "family"
and "work" accounts into groups, so all the "family" accounts can be set to
Busy with one call, regardless of whether they're voice, IM or whatever.

After all, if I'm busy, I don't want interruptions by any medium - but I need
to be available to my collaborators.

Whether this should be here or in the UI, I've no idea.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <jiri at baum.com.au>                   http://www.baum.com.au/~jiri