[Telepathy] Proposed API for client side of tp-glib

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 6 23:26:26 PDT 2007

ext Xavier Claessens wrote:
> I was thinking about a new design for the client side API of tp-glib,
> something more object-oriented than libtp. The main goal is to
> completely remove dbus from the API, no more DBusGProxy, only GObjects.
[...]
> What do you think about? Should I continue in that way? Should I forget
> about that idea and just generate functions like in libtp? Or should I
> just keep using libtp and let tp-glib for CM only? Or any other idea?

I personally am not extremely unhappy with libtp; of course something
more GObject-like would be cool. But how will you deal with async D-Bus
calls?
Second, if you want to have D-Bus signals connectable as GObject
signals, you'll have to register all of them when you create the object,
and this means that you'll also receive signals you might not be
interested about (dunno how big performance hit this would have). Unless
there is some secret internal hook in GObject that gets called when
g_signal_connect is called on an object (because in that case you could
use it to connect to the corresponding DBus signal only when needed).

Ciao,
   Alberto

--
http://www.mardy.it <-- Geek in un lingua international!