[Telepathy] Proposed standard MC API

Will Thompson will at willthompson.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 05:01:29 PDT 2007

Naba,

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 02:32:21PM +0300, Naba Kumar wrote:
> Everyone has his own idea of what service to use. You can't control what
> your friends want. So you will eventually end up in a situation where
> your work friends are distributed among different services. Same with
> your personal members. There is really no concrete way to ensure all
> your work friends would stay in one service (account A) and relatives in
> another service (account B).

As a counter-example, IBM internally uses Lotus Sametime.  So an IBM
employee is pretty much guaranteed to have all their colleagues – and no
personal contacts (excluding the overlap) – on a single account on a
single service.

I'm not sure how common internal IM servers are in other companies,
though.

> So in short there is no real use case for this feature :)

I'm not looking for this feature myself, and I'm inclined to agree with
you.  If you're at work, you set your presence message to "at work" and
then if you have reasonable friends they will leave you alone.  :-)

That said, there are people who are convinced they need this; I thought
it was worth mentioning.

Thanks,

Will